Friday 1 April 2011

Blowing a Hoolie



Many parts of the World have exotic names for all their winds - Sirocco, Zephyros, Mistral or even Willy-Willy. Yesterday was so windy I had to walk very quickly under trees as the branches really did look precarious and it was VERY windy.


I checked my Norfolk Dialect Manual but there doesn't appear to be a suitable local word. I always assumed "Hoolie" was Norfolk but apparently not. It goes something like: “Yew hatta hoss about, dun’t yew? Yew hoolly cearme hossin down the rud on yar boike!”.


Exactly. Anyway the distant dust storm above turned out to be a field up in the air as I approached:

6 comments:

Dave said...

Brawk is a Norfolk word for wind.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher said...

...and according to this glossary 'hoolie brawk' is Norfolk dialect descriptive of e.g. a retired Methodist minister with artistic leanings towards the end of the month.

Ms Scarlet said...

I am titty totty.
Sx

Z said...

Squiffany was very impressed when I took a bottle of Australian wine called Willy Willy when we last visited her house for dinner.

An interesting side variation on 'hoolly' when I was a child in Lowestoft was 'funny'. "Coo, tha' funny hurt" as considered a little more sophisticated than "I hoolly banged my hid on that thar tittermatorter." I have never come across that use of the word since about 1964, however.

Rog said...

Dave: There's a lot of hot air in Norfolk Blogging circles.

Christoff: Darn those Hoolie socks.

Scarlet: And who are we to argue?

Z: Sounds like a piss up. As for "tittermatorter" I propose adopting that in my everyday speech as a substitute for thingummyjig. It's funny good!