Thursday 27 November 2014

Mystery Object

As Mike keeps humiliating me with my lack of basic knowledge of antique items, I thought I'd attempt to get my own back with this MYSTERY ITEM which recently came our way.

It comprises two turned wooden parts of approximately 3½" in length and a 1¾" metal spring which fits in between them.

I believe it offered a useful service in bygone days and would like to know what it is and approximately when it was made.

I had intended to scatter logical clues but Mike's clues are normally so abstruse I thought I wouldn't bother....

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Could it be a device for removing the glass marble from a Codd's lemonade bottle?

Rog said...

Ah, thanks Mike. Good suggestion but not right.
The piece of Codd be with you.

Unknown said...

P.s. Or possibly for re-corking wine bottles?

Rog said...

No bottles involved in it's operation Mike.

Unknown said...

The wood doesn't appear to be very old; so I'll guess it dates from the first half of the twentieth century.

Rog said...

Yes, Mike so certainly NOT REALLY AN ANTIQUE!!!!
I'm a complete old fraud at this game.

Rog said...

OK Mike - it's a 1930's recessed toilet roll holder.

http://www.periodbath.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5371

It supports a roll of Izal or Bronco.

I'm sorry - I'll get me coat....

Z said...

Ooh, I'm too late to guess! Splendid clue, Rog.

Unknown said...

Good one Rog. I really aught to have worked out that 'scatter logical' clue.

Unknown said...

P.s. That one was so good - MORE PLEASE.

Anonymous said...

Had a look earlier but didn't have any idea what it was. Glad you've told us now so it saves me having to think. . . .

Unknown said...

Rog. This has nothing to do with your blog, but are you aware that you are now FIRST (!!!!!!)in the ELO ratings at Scrabble.
Heartiest congratters.