Monday 24 April 2017

Who Knows Where the Time Goes?

Blimey is that the time?

Over a year has passed since my last epistle to the Philistines (no offence) and I was beginning to think I'd just leave this blogging thing up there on the shelf with VHS video tapes and my compact-cassette Motown singles. With a few notable exceptions (see right) everyone these days is simply tweeting vitriol in 140 characters or becoming a Vlogger showing un-needed details of how to bake a cupcake or cut toenails.  The heady pre-Facebook days of chatty social interaction in the comments of blogs has been replaced by simpler and quicker ticks and sentences in boxes. ROTFLMAO zzz. Goldfish are discussing our declining attention spans with each other.

Then I thought why not have another odd shout down the cyberspace well, just to keep it ticking for the time when the circle turns and everyone goes back to longer form communication?

I suppose quite a bit has changed over the last year. At the time of writing my last blog entry the USA had a savvy, highly intelligent and articulate President and we had shiny Old Etonian David Cameron. There was some sort of EU thing last year and now I can knock out a passable version of acoustic Layla. I've also taken to reading pop music biographies which are a source of endless fascination. I particularly liked 'White Bicycles' by Joe Boyd and David Hepworth's '1971' book (subtitled 'Never a Dull Moment'), and I've just finished 'Homeward Bound', the well researched book on Paul Simon's life in music by Peter Ames Carlin.

I've just started my next book on the list (a brilliant Christmas present from a son) 'I've always kept a Unicorn', the (tragically curtailed) life story of Sandy Denny.  I felt a slight tingle when I got to the page with her original handwritten lyrics for the wonderful "Who Knows Where the Time Goes".



It reminded me of those youthful times when I'd be hanging out in hip joints, and also reminded me that tomorrow I'm going into hospital to have a hip-joint replacement operation so hopefully I'll be skipping past again soon to tell you all about it. Pip Pip!


9 comments:

Liz said...

I look forward to seeing you skip with your new hip. All good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sir Bruin said...

Greetings, Number One Philistine here. Trust all goes well with the new hip and that there is no conflict with your pre-existing hipness.

Rog said...

Thanks Mr & Mrs Bear. I'm bearing up extremely well this morning so thanks for your good wishes πŸ€“πŸ‘

Ron said...

editorron sends his best wishes to his hippy friend. Just keep getting weller...

Mike said...

Hello Rog. Gathered from your Face Book that you've had health problems. Hope all goes (has gone ?) well. These things are usually well worth having done, so I'm sure this one will be. Warm regards, and best wishest, Mike and Ann.

Z said...

Will you dance at the blog party? As well as play Layla, of course.

Rog said...

Ron : thanks πŸ™ - perhaps we could do short bike ride in a month or two ?

Mike: all gone well so far thanks - no more limp excuses in future! πŸ‘£

Z: As I couldn't dance before the op I may have to manage expectations πŸ•ΊπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»

Pat said...

Glad you are back blogging. There aren't many of us left.

Crowbard said...

Thanks Rog, you're an inspiration. Delighted to hear of your complete recovery and resumed confidence. As soon as I can undergo brain replacement surgery I'll join you all in the dance (with a wobble of my very own terpsichoreography). All kindly blessings,
Carl