Tuesday 26 April 2011

We Never Close

I'm at a top secret high altitude cycle training camp being cossetted and groomed as Britain's best Meddling (sic) Prospect in the Yorkshire Dales Dash next month - Morecambe to Bridlington in three days by bike. It's called the "Way of the Roses" although in my case it should really be called "Last of the Summer Wine". 170 Miles, several of which are downhill.

Sadly this training in Lancashire has uncovered a slight flaw in my previous efforts inasmuch as it was all done in 10 mile stretches in Norfolk. 60 mile stretches up 1200ft hills will place an additional burden on the creaking old bod but I will be ably paced by various sons, their mates and my fit younger brother. ("Paced" means waiting for me at the top of each summit.)

I'll keep you posted on the actual ride towards the end of next month.

In the meantime here's a pic I took on my iPhone on a bike ride up the Lune Valley yesterday. We've been promised early and impressive Bluebells this year and these ones, with the contrasting silver birch trunks and hazy iridescence, don't disappoint.


8 comments:

Rog said...

Actually "We Never Close" was the Windmill, not the Bluebell. Can't be bothered to change it now....

Dave said...

You're waxing almost lyrical at the end there. Is the altitude getting to you? Or is it drink talking?

Geoff said...

I hope you were wearing your Lune pants.

Rog said...

Dave: I always wax lyrical to improve my aerodynamics

Geoff: Crook of Lune was the dodgy purveyor of yellow lune pants who used to advertise them in the NME

Rosie said...

I don't understand any comments but the bluebells are spectacular.

Roger said...

Rosie: You can't beat the sight and smell of a Bluebell wood!

Sarah said...

Impressed !

Z said...

So am I.